CBD capsules are among the most popular in the CBD product range. They are loved for their convenience, which makes them ideal for beginners and experienced CBD users.
Capsules are easy to swallow. Seeing that they were among the first CBD products to hit the market, the technology for manufacturing them has come a long way, making them easy to swallow. At CBD Oil UK, we have CBD capsules in various CBD concentrations to suit different user levels. We stock all the leading CBD supplement brands, making it easy for you to find something that matches your needs.
CBD capsules are designed to deliver the same benefits that other CBD products like CBD vape liquids, CBD tinctures and CBD gummies deliver, like the nutritional benefits and the potential health benefits.
What is CBD?
Given how popular CBD is, you would think defining what it is wouldn’t be necessary. But there is a lot of myths and misconceptions that surround CBD. It’s almost impossible to begin any CBD subject without defining CBD.
CBD (Cannabidiol) is a naturally occurring chemical compound produced in the Cannabis Sativa plant. It is only one of the more than 100 types of cannabinoids found in the hemp plant, along with its other famous cousin, THC.
Over the years, CBD has gained momentum with its potential health benefits, including modulating various vital body functions like the sleep-wake cycle, stress, pain and inflammation, among others.
Unlike THC, CBD doesn’t bind directly to the cannabinoids receptors and doesn’t have the same psychoactive effects. Instead of producing a high, CBD is known for creating a calm and relaxing feeling.
What are CBD Capsules?
CBD capsules are a result of creative manufacturers trying to find easy and effective ways to deliver CBD into your bloodstream.
The CBD is encapsulated in a digestible casing that dissolves in the stomach. The idea behind having the case is to lock in the CBD and its taste and make it more palatable to take.
Some CBD capsules come in powder form enclosed in a shell. There are others known as CBD soft gels that contain powdered CBD extract that is combined with a carrier oil like coconut, olive, or hemp oil.
Since the inception of CBD capsules, manufacturers have diversified the product. You can now find CBD capsules in different formulas and concentrations depending on the manufacturer and the intended use.
For instance, users looking for CBD capsules to help with sleep can find varieties that have melatonin that will help regulate the disrupted sleep-wake cycle. CBD capsules can also contain other beneficial ingredients like turmeric.
How are CBD Capsules Made?
CBD capsules often have an oval shape that is 10-15mm in diameter. The shell of the pill is made from a popular pharma ingredient called bovine gelatine.
For manufacturers specialising in vegan-friendly CBD products, the shell is made from plant-based ingredients.
The shell encloses the CBD and its taste and smell, making capsules a simple and fast way to consume CBD. You can integrate it into your health routine or use it with other food supplements.
Types of CBD Capsules
Like other CBD products, capsules come in various types and strengths to suit different levels of CBD users. There are three main types of CBD capsules based on the kind of CBD extract.
Full-spectrum CBD capsules
This range of capsules is made from a wide range of cannabinoids extracted from the hemp plant. They undergo the least processing and contain various cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids that complement and enhance the effects of CBD.
Full-spectrum CBD products yield the most potent effects because of the synergy of the phytonutrients working together to deliver comprehensive and broad benefits in one product.
Full-spectrum capsules also contain THC but are limited to the allowed 0.2% in the UK. THC also has potential health benefits and complements the CBD even when in trace amounts.
Broad-spectrum CBD capsules
Broad-spectrum CBD capsules include a diverse range of cannabinoids and terpenes but are THC-free. Some manufacturers go the extra mile of isolating most of the cannabinoids and then recombining them to minimise THC contamination.
Most high-quality broad-spectrum CBD capsules preserve the original composition of the phytochemicals and only remove THC.
For CBD users who want to enjoy CBD’s therapeutic benefits but want to avoid THC, this is the best type of CBD capsule to purchase.
CBD isolate capsules
CBD isolate extract only contains one ingredient – CBD. CBD isolate capsules don’t have any THC or other cannabinoids or terpenes. As a result, they have limited health benefits, and you might need stronger doses to experience the same effects as broad and full-spectrum products.
CBD isolate is easier to standardise and allows manufacturers to guarantee the same CBD concentrations throughout their product range. The same is more difficult with full-spectrum, which is why such products might cost more.
Depending on the needs and situation of the user, each of these types of CBD is an ideal choice.
How to Use CBD capsules?
CBD capsules are among the easiest CBD products to take. That’s why they are highly recommended for beginners.
The capsules come pre-dosed, so you don’t have to worry about calculating the ideal dose. You only need to prepare a glass of water or your favourite beverage. Place the capsule in your mouth and wash it down the same way you would with any other pill.
If you’re new to CBD, it’s advisable to start with a moderate concentration of about 10-15mg a day twice a day. Then you can adjust after a short observation period.
How Do CBD Capsules Work?
Once you take the CBD capsules, an exciting journey begins. First, the pills work their way to your stomach, where the outer shell is dissolved, and then the contents are released into the body. Cannabidiol, along with any other ingredients contained in the shell are absorbed into the bloodstream.
Once in the system, there are two ways that CBD can work. The first is through the Endocannabinoid System (ECS).
The ECS is a human system found in all mammals and is responsible for regulating various functions and maintaining balance in the body. The ECS comprises of receptors and enzymes that receive and process endocannabinoids.
Although research has shown that CBD rarely binds to either of the ECS receptors, it has been demonstrated that CBD prevents the breakdown of endocannabinoids (cannabinoids produced in the body) and helps to increase the efficiency of the ECS.
CBD can also work in the body by binding to non-cannabinoid receptors like serotonin and GABA receptors to impact various effects. Research has also found that CBD can act as an allosteric modulator changing the shape and functions of receptors to confer multiple effects.
Through these modes of operation, CBD is thought to help with various conditions and possible help with various conditions.
How long does it take to experience CBD capsules effects?
CBD capsules come with numerous effects, among them being easy to take. But speedy effects are not one of them. CBD capsules are taken orally, meaning they have to go through digestion. This results in the prolonged onset of effects.
It can take anywhere between one to four hours to start feeling the effects of CBD when you take CBD capsules. Whether you’re taking CBD for pain or to improve sleep, it’s always important to factor in the period it will take before you can start experiencing the effects.
Benefits of CBD Capsules
Every CBD product offers a unique range of benefits to the users. Manufacturers take time to understand the needs of CBD users and come up with creative ways to solve challenges and enhance the CBD experience.
Some of the benefits associated with taking CBD capsules include:
- Pre-dosed – One of the most significant challenges new CBD users have is calculating the amount of CBD to take. CBD capsules make the process easier because each capsule comes in a pre-measured dose making it easier to take the right amount of CBD even for a first-time user.
- Taste-less – Most CBD lovers can’t stand the earthy and bitter taste of CBD even when masked with flavourings. CBD capsules lock the taste inside the shell, so it’s easier to take the CBD without altering its composition.
- Travel-friendly – With CBD capsules, you never have to worry about leaving your CBD behind. The pills are packed in small, easy-to-carry bottles that can fit inside your laptop bag, purse, drawer, desk or gym locker. Because the capsules are easy to take, you can also take them anywhere without any challenges.
- No refrigeration needed – You don’t need to worry about refrigerating CBD capsules because they are shelf-stable and don’t need special storage to preserve the freshness.
- Easy to incorporate into your existing vitamin routine – Most people are already taking some daily vitamins. You can easily fit CBD capsules into that regimen by adding them to the other vitamins you’re currently taking.
- Slow metabolism – CBD capsules are often recommended for new users because of the slow absorption of CBD into the bloodstream. CBD pills don’t release their contents until they reach the stomach. Here they mix with other contents in the stomach. The CBD is then slowly absorbed, which allows the effects to last longer than other methods of taking CBD.
Disadvantages of CBD Capsules
Even with all the goodness, CBD capsules still have several downsides that you should be aware of to help you pick the best CBD products.
- Take long to experience effects – As with any other oral CBD products, it takes longer to experience CBD effects when you take CBD capsules. This is because the products have to go through the digestion process, which is not only lengthy but also washes down the power of CBD.
- Low bioavailability – Taking CBD orally has a low bioavailability. That’s because CBD is often broken down and filtered by different mechanisms in the body. CBD users might have to take higher doses to experience impactful effects.
- Not ideal for some conditions – CBD capsules are perfect for various needs like improvement of sleep and relief from pain and inflammation. However, they might not be effective for skin conditions that require topical CBD products like CBD balms, salves and creams.
- General results – CBD pills aren’t designed to deliver targeted results to various parts of the body. The CBD is delivered throughout the body.
- Additional ingredients – Most CBD users prefer to have minimal ingredients added to CBD. However, some pills include ingredients that make it easier to flow through the encapsulation machine. Some manufacturers make an effort to use natural materials, but it’s not always the case.
Are There Any Side Effects Associated with Taking CBD Capsules?
CBD is known to have very low toxicity and is largely well tolerated. However, different studies and consumer reports indicate that there might be some mild side effects associated with CBD. These include:
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in weight
- Dry mouth
- Stomach upsets
These side effects are common among people who are new to CBD and also if you happen to take too much CBD. Side effects are also likely to occur when you take low-quality CBD capsules. In this case, the side effects present worse symptoms.
What to Look for When Buying CBD Capsules
Choosing the best CBD pills and products is vital for your health and for preventing undesirable experiences. Some of the few tips that can help you select the best CBD capsules are:
- Hemp source – All CBD products start from a hemp plant. Products made from healthy, regulated hemp plants will result in better quality products. Always purpose to buy from manufacturers that follow the strict growing process and prefer to use organic growing methods. Organic hemp doesn’t contain contaminants, fertilizers, heavy metals or pesticides, which could further aggravate the side effects.
- Quality assurance – Manufacturers understand the scepticism that CBD users have to undergo when buying CBD pills. That’s why a diligent manufacturer will do everything in their power to assure you of the quality of their products. One way they do this is by having third-party labs test the products and provide certificates confirming the ingredients’ composition, safety, purity and concentration of CBD.
- The concentration of THC – If you’re subjected to regular drug tests or you’re not comfortable taking THC, the concentration of THC is among the factors you should consider. Most CBD capsules have zero THC, especially if they’re made from CBD Isolate. For full-spectrum CBD pills, always check to ensure the THC concentration is below the recommended amount of 0.2%.
- Ingredients – Check the ingredients list and compare this with the findings on the third-party lab report. If you’re a vegan, ensure the capsules are made from vegetable cellulose instead of gelatine.
- Opt for reputable brands – There are hundreds of CBD brands, and there are new ones coming up every day. One of the surest ways of buying quality CBD brands is buying from reputable manufacturers. These will often have numerous positive customer reviews to back up their credibility.
What’s the Difference Between CBD Oil and CBD Capsules
CBD capsules are often compared to CBD oil. Although the two products have the same contents, they are slightly different. Therefore, consumers need to know the differences and similarities between the two products and how to use them effectively.
Appearance and consumption
CBD oil is taken in solution form and is therefore highly versatile. Conventional administration of CBD oil uses a dropper to determine the dosage, which can be daunting for new users. Because some CBD oil is absorbed sublingually, it functions faster than CBD capsules. CBD oils can also be incorporated into smoothies, creams and foods.
CBD capsules come in a solid formula with a gel or non-gelatinous casing. Most people swallow capsules with water. The capsule has to go through the digestive system, which delays the onset of effects. However, most people will still prefer capsules over CBD oil because the servings are pre-calculated, convenient and discrete.
Potency and flavour
CBD oil comes in various ranges and concentrations of CBD, making the oil suitable for both new and seasoned CBD enthusiasts. The products have a wide range of strengths and quantities that suit different needs. CBD oils provide more options than CBD capsules in terms of flavour, including peach, citrus and nectar flavours.
CBD capsules have a lower product selection but come in various flavours and potency. The capsules are swallowed whole and are flavourless. But many CBD capsules consider tastelessness as an essential characteristic. Also, CBD capsules are more affordable than CBD oils.
Consumers can easily regulate their CBD oil servings. Instead of having pre-measured amounts, you can manually determine how much CBD oil you want to take using the dropper. However, consumers need to know the exact servings and know how to calculate accurate servings.
CBD capsules are convenient because they are discrete and easy to use. They come pre-measured, so the consumer has nothing to worry about when measuring the servings.
Are CBD Capsules Better than CBD Oil?
For the right consumer, there’s no better product than the other because different CBD enthusiasts are looking for different products are results. CBD oil has a higher bioavailability because of its sublingual administration. CBD capsules, on the other hand, are no frills. They are pre-measured, and they last longer once the effects kick in. For consumers looking for something easy, discrete and easy to take on the road, CBD capsules are perfect.
CBD Capsules Ingredients
We keep our CBD capsule ingredients. We only select the best quality products classified as food-grade and safe for human consumption. Our range has two primary ingredients:
- Broad-spectrum hemp extract – Our CBD capsules are filled with broad-spectrum hemp extract for the best results for all CBD consumers without worrying about taking any THC.
- Soft gels – The hemp extract is enclosed in a soft gelatine shell, making the capsules easy to swallow.
Who Should Take CBD Capsules?
CBD capsules are relatively safe. They’ve been mainly consumed without any serious reactions or side effects. However, like our other range of CBD products, CBD capsules are only for consumers who meet the legal adult age in the UK.
We use the best quality and food-grade ingredients in the capsules to minimise the chances of reactions. However, there are some instances where we recommend consumers consult with a doctor before taking CBD capsules.
You should talk to your doctor before taking CBD products if you’re on any other medication. This is because similar enzymes process CBD and the other medications, and they could reduce the effects and concentration of CBD or the other medication, or there could be interactions that would increase the chances of negative side effects.
We also recommend that people with long-term medical conditions like diabetes and chronic illness consult their medical provider before trying out CBD. Expectant mothers or women considering starting families should not take CBD without the input of a professional.
What Strength of CBD Capsules Should I Take?
Our range of CBD capsules comes in various concentrations to cater to the needs and preferences of different consumers. While this is an advantage, it might be a source of confusion for those that aren’t sure about which concentration of CBD capsules they should buy.
If you’ve taken CBD in other forms and a certain CBD concentration works for you, you can select your CBD capsules based on the same concentration. Most CBD capsule packages will include the concentration per capsule, which should help you find the right concentration. If not, you can divide the total concentration by the number of capsules to get the concentration per capsule.
For new CBD capsules consumer, the golden rule is to go for the lowest concentration possible and slowly increase your intake while taking some time to monitor how your body responds before increasing your intake.
Tips to Get the Most Out of CBD Capsules
Besides choosing the right type of CBD capsules with adequate CBD concentration, there are a few more tips you can use to get the most out of the CBD capsules:
Eat foods packed with carbs
Foods like fatty fish and avocados packed with fats help maximise bioavailability. Other foods high in carbs like dark chocolate are also known to increase the uptake of CBD while delivering substantial amounts of antioxidants that are also beneficial to the body.
Take your CBD capsule at the same time every day
Taking CBD capsules at the same time every day ensures the body has a reliable cycle on when to expect CBD to be in full effect. Taking CBD at the same time also helps you monitor the impact and know how long they last and if you should adjust your intake.
Combine CBD capsules with melatonin
If you’re taking CBD capsules to help with sleeping and relaxation, you can enhance the effects by adding melatonin to your wellness routine.
Melatonin is a natural hormone produced in the body. It has many functions, among them regulating the sleep-wake cycle. If your CBD capsules don’t come with melatonin already infused, you can buy melatonin products and take them simultaneously with your CBD capsules to enhance the relaxation effects and sleep quality.
CBD Capsule FAQs
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about CBD capsules.
Are CBD capsules safe?
The safety of CBD capsules depends on your due diligence. If you buy the pills from a reputable manufacturer who is keen on the regulations and produces high-quality CBD capsules, then you have nothing to worry about. The CBD capsules are completely safe.
Are CBD capsules legal?
Yes, all CBD products are legal in the UK as long as the hemp and the manufacturing processes are completed as per the legal requirements set by the UK and the European economic block.
Who should take CBD capsules?
In numerous studies and ongoing research, CBD has been found to be safe for almost everyone. However, it is strongly recommended that you seek medical advice from a doctor before taking any CBD products. It is even more prudent to seek the opinion of a doctor if you’re expectant, you want to give CBD to a child, or you have underlying chronic conditions.
How many CBD capsules should I take?
There’s no set dose on how many CBD capsules you should take. The ideal CBD dose differs from one person to the next depending on body weight, the seriousness of the conditions and your rate of metabolism.
As a golden rule, you should always start with a low dose of between 10 – 25mg twice a day and after observation and monitoring, adjust your dose accordingly.
Can I overdose on CBD Capsules?
CBD has very low toxicity, making it very difficult to overdose on CBD unless taken in enormous amounts. Even then, no catastrophic incidents have been reported associated with taking too much CBD. But you should expect some discomfort and side effects if you take too much CBD.
When is the best time to take CBD capsules?
There’s no better time to take CBD capsules. However, you should know that it takes time before you can start feeling the effects. Therefore, you should always plan to take CBD capsules a few hours before you need the effects.
Can I give CBD capsules to my pet?
We wouldn’t recommend giving CBD capsules to pets. There are CBD products designed for pets, which you can try, but you should first talk to a vet before you put your pet on CBD products.
If you feel CBD capsules are not for you, you can try one of our other types of CBD products that include CBD gummies, CBD oil, CBD E-liquid and CBD edibles.